The Great Pumpkin Challenge

The Great Pumpkin Challenge

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Little Motorhome on the Prairie

This morning we woke up to snow. I tried to take a shower at the campgrounds- but the water was ice cold and no sign of heating up. So with no furnace, and the fridge not working, and the generator not going we went to Walmart to get warm until our RV repair appt.

The view from our campsite this morning: snow- and look how close the campers are together :/
We bought a few things and then went to the RV repair. 6 hours later and 600 dollars later we left, with a working furnace, and our fridge working too. Remember that emergency credit card I got right before we left? Yeah super grateful for it today.

 Needless to say as we were leaving we were feeling pretty low. Ryan and I both drove in silence for a while and I might have shed a tear or two. We decided to head out the Laura Ingalls homestead in DeSmet. The tourist map said it was 20 minutes from 90. However it lies. We were on the road for another 45 mins at least. No matter we arrived and saw the homestead, and Pa's first claim of land.

Straw roof building.
The back of the homestead
 
Lola running up to see the monument of the first claim.
 

Standing next to Pa's first claim and in the background is their home.
Our little motorhome on the Prairie

 Then we drove up the hill to the Visitors Center. It was closed when we arrived, but the owners saw us and pull in and opened for us. The couple was amazingly gracious- since they were trying to close up for the winter season. They showed the girls how to make jump ropes, they made corn husks dolls with the girls, and shared lots of stories. It truly made a shit day magical. Turns out they completely understand why we are traveling in the off season and said they did the same when their children were little. I came very close to buying a bonnet- but after spending so much money on the motor home decided it wasn't an option.

We are camping tonight in DeSmet at a little campgrounds called Spot. Its small and ran by a lady that owns a lot of cats, but no airplanes, no trains, and the electric is working so I'm grateful. Tomorrow we are heading to the corn palace, and an Indian museum. Also I picked up my emergen c stuff at Walmart and after a day of taking those my throat and teeth are feeling better. Please keep your fingers crossed that I get a good nights sleep tonight. I really really really need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment