The Great Pumpkin Challenge

The Great Pumpkin Challenge

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

We are home!

Home sweet home!

After November 1st it was very tricky to find an open campgrounds. We decided that we had spent enough money and it was time to come home. If money wernt a factor we could have spent at least another month in that area exploring. But I left feeling very happy. I cant thank my family enough for making this trip everything it was.

I leave Thursday for D.C. for a breech confrence and I'm looking forward to that. Then in Feb we will head South visiting lots of people on the way.

We spent the day yesterday cleaning out the motorhome and putting everything away. Today we got back to school. I can't believe how much we got done on the road. From painting Devil's Tower, Sophie finished her 1st grade math and Lola's letters are really coming along.

Sophie has lots of questions today and we are googleing everything we can- Mom can bears smell?

Bears have an incredible sense of smell because the area of their brain that manages the sense of smell, called the olefactory bulb, is at least 5 times larger than the same area in human brains even though a bear's brain is one third the size.

And what dinosaur had two brains?
When Stegosaurus was first discovered, in 1877, experts weren't used to the idea of elephant-sized lizards with bird-sized brains. That's why, in the late 19th century, the famous paleontologist Othniel C. Marsh broached the idea that a second brain resided in Stegosaurus' rump, which presumably helped to control the rear part of its body. Today, no one believes that Stegosaurus (or any dinosaur) had two brains, but it may well turn out that the cavity in this stegosaur's tail was used to store extra food (in the form of glycogen).

No comments:

Post a Comment